University Buses in Jeopardy

Students are being urged to engage in Greater Wellington Regional Council’s consultation on an upcoming major overhaul of the city’s bus system.

In its largest review of the system in twenty years, the Council is proposing the creation of new bus routes, as well as the cancellation of existing ones, most notably the #18 ‘Campus Connection’ service. The Campus Connection currently runs between Karori and Miramar, servicing all of Victoria’s Campuses as well as Massey University.

VUWSA President Bridie Hood says it is important students look carefully at the proposed changes to bus routes and fares, which could have a significant impact on those who travel to Victoria University by bus.

“The proposed changes will drastically alter the way students travel to and in between campuses, and it’s important they make their concerns known,” Hood says.

VUWSA is currently running an online survey to gauge student opinion on the proposed changes, the results of which will be used to form a submission to the Council.

Some students have contacted Salient to express their concern that under the proposed plan the only bus stop described as “near Kelburn Campus” for some routes will be on The Terrace, meaning Mount Street will stand between commuters and their classes.

One student calling themselves a bus-enthusiast student gave their thoughts on the impact he believes the restructuring will have on those who study in Kelburn.

“Right now there are lots of buses to Kelburn campus, and they link useful places, especially through the #18 and #47 which go out to popular suburbs avoiding the CBD”, they explained.

“Under the new plan, these buses will either disappear or be replaced by other ones that continue up the hill from Kelburn to useful places, but going down the hill will only go to the railway station.”

1. John says:

Only this week to go to submit your thoughts! VUWSA-as-a-whole submission ok, but individual students too! save the #18 or suggest they exend other roues up the 18 route to Campus! (unles you like walking up Mount st)

gw.gov.nz and follow the bus review feedback links!

1