Very Serious Business

STUDENT DRINKING DEFIES ECONOMIC THEORY, VOMIT CONTINUES TO TRICKLE DOWN

Increasing the cost of getting boozed won’t be enough to stop students’ bingey ways, as a new study has shown that they will continue to match any price the Government can throw at them.

The AUT University study found that students don’t react much to price sensitivity, meaning they would be willing to spend more on alcohol in order to get their crunk on.

Results showed that even if the price was increased by 25 per cent, consumption wouldn’t significantly change. Any attempts to discourage excessive drinking behavior through increased taxation would have to be “very, very high”.

The results were analysed in the thesis of Masters student Nicola Stephenson, who concluded that it was social norms, rather than price, which controlled alcohol consumption.

“Students believe that if it is normal and expected for a student to get—in the words of one of my colleagues—wasted as quickly as possible,” AUT Professor Andrew Parsons insightfully said.

Campus clubs get a shake up – Dix explains appearance of Cockburn

A review of how support is given to clubs is currently underway, and could see the University take over from VUWSA as permanent funding provider.

As funding is now coming from the Student Services Levy, the University has commissioned an independent review to find out whether they or VUWSA would provide the best value for students’ money.

Associate Director of Campus Services, Rainsforth Dix said the review was being conducted by Lumin, an external consulting firm, and that clubs were being invited to participate.

Lumin’s Robyn Cockburn is currently in contact with clubs and societies on campus gathering feedback on their experiences with current support services on offer.

The review will offer a series of recommendations which the University will consider when they decide whether to take over, or contract the provision of clubs to VUWSA.

It is not known whether clubs will indicate a dissatisfaction with VUWSA’s current club support, but anyone whose ever had to deal with University enrolments will surely be dubious as to the wisdom of introducing more institutional bureaucracy.