VUWSA Strives For Greater Efficiency

Years of fluffed out work reports and executive work deficits may soon come to an end following a change in the way VUWSA executive members are paid.

In previous years, work reports have been scrutinised and passed during meetings of the general executive; this process will now be undertaken by the newly established Executive Reporting Committee.

Comprised of President Bridie Hood, Vice-President (Academic) Josh Wright and Treasurer William Guzzo, the committee will meet fortnightly to discuss work reports before being sent to general exec meetings for approval.

Hood said the smaller committee would make it possible for individual work reports to receive greater scrutiny, as well as bypassing the inefficiencies of round-table interpersonal analysis.

“There were concerns raised by executive members last year that there was a feeling of intimidation within the executive meetings. In that if you questioned someone’s work report, that they would therefore question yours,” Hood said.

Executive members will also now have the option of being paid pro rata, whereby they are paid for the amount of hours worked over a reporting period rather than being expected to make up deficits.

“There were instances last year when executive members were paid on the proviso that they would make up the

owing hours, but not all those hours were made up. So this policy was brought in so that all executive members are accountable and transparent,” Hood said.

Coinciding with this change is a reduction in general executive meetings to once a month – the minimum required by the VUWSA constitution – in a bid to become more efficient.

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this