VUWSA Vice President (Academic)

“VUWSA’s Da shit, Bo!” – Albert Einstein, 1998

Did you know that Albert Einstein was

a Class Rep in 1998? Pretty cool, isn’t it—except for one ghastly, oft-unspoken thing: he didn’t attend any form of Class Rep training. That sin alone was enough to land him on Santa’s naughty list for that year. Simply terrible.

Einstein’s weaknesses leave me asking several questions of you, the student body: are you a Class Rep? Have you attended a Class Rep training session yet? Do you want to be slammed on the naughty list? If your answers to these questions were ‘yes!’, and then ‘no!’, and then ‘no!’ again, then I’ve got some information that will make your heart soar, and your christmas stocking bulge: there are still Class Rep trainings that you can attend. Rest easy, dearest reps, as there is still hope for your poor souls yet.

I’m going to be pragmatic and unromantic about how I go about this: a good old-fashioned list is in order. Book yourself in to one of the following by emailing Fiona, VUWSA’s Education Organiser, at eo@vuwsa.org.nz.

BASIC TRAININGS (FOR FIRST-TIMERS):

▴ Kelburn: 26/3: 11am-1pm, in SU217 (below the Hunter Lounge)

▴ Kelburn: 27/3: 1pm-3pm, in SU217 (same room as above, and again, below the Hunter Lounge)

▴ Pipitea: 28/3: 10.30am-12.30pm, in GBLT2 (because we love you, Pipitea)

▴ Kelburn: 2/4: 5.30pm-7.30pm, in the Memorial Theatre, Student Union Building (our most popular training!)

ADVANCED TRAININGS (FOR RETURNING CLASS REPS):
▴ Kelburn: 28/3: 2pm-4pm, in SU217
▴ Pipitea: 29/3: 3.30pm-5.30pm, in GBLT3 ▴ Kelburn: 30/3: 3pm-5pm, in SU217

TE ARO-SPECIFIC TRAININGS (FOR DESIGN AND ARCHITECTURE STUDENTS):
▴ Te Aro: 4/4: 10am-12pm, in Lecture Theatre 1 ▴ Te Aro: 4/4: 5pm-7pm, in Lecture Theatre 2

ONE FOR THE NZSM BABES:

▴ Kelburn: 3/4, 1pm-2pm, in SU217
I can’t promise you that your mind will be opened to a whole new way of thinking, but I can promise you delicious snacks. And honestly—snacks will always triumph over thoughts. Furthermore, you’re only eligible for a Class Rep certificate, a reference from yours truly, and (possibly) a Class Rep Scholarship if you attend training. How’s that for incentivising!

Anyway, I’m acutely aware that roughly one student out of fifty is a Class Rep, so I apologise that this column may have been entirely useless for literally 98 per cent of you. And I hope you don’t mind as I revert back to tenuously tying my column to this issue’s Science theme— because I’d just like to thank science for bringing baby hedgehogs into existence. Please don’t Google image search for other baby hedgehogs, because you’ll witness the atrocity of a newborn one. They’re awful.

Peace out—see 2 per cent of you at training.

1