March 4, 2012 | by  | in Arts Visual Arts |

What’s On: Visual Arts

TOI PONEKE GALLERY: Pam Brabants and Douglas Crane both investigate the minutiae of the worlds around them and frame them in bizarre and interesting ways. The Amazing BraPants by Brabants utilizes pencil drawings, comic book stylings and even needlework to narrate a fictional world, while Crane’s Tutti Time focuses on found object sculpture to plunge the viewer into a fantastical plane with drawstrings back to reality.

CITY GALLERY WELLINGTON: The Obstinate Object presents a wide-ranging investigation of New Zealand sculpture and the practitioners who are responsible for it. The works aim to question the line between object and art, and to assess the future of the medium in a world where the lines between forms are increasingly fragile.

LEFT BANK OFF CUBA: The All Corners art project presents Life Stills in Wellington’s infamous Left Bank arcade, placing art about Wellington and the people who inhabit it in the middle of the city itself. Life Stills features works by twelve different photographers who have followed twelve different Wellingtonians, documenting their daily lives. The installation is intriguing and worth a look, as it plunges the viewer deep into different perspectives. While the presentation is rudimentary, the subject matter is scintillating, and it is great to see art like this injected into the streets of our city.

TE PAPA EXTERIOR: Michael Tuffery is a wonderful artist in his own right, but for this monumental work he turns the focus on portraying the art that informs his work. From dusk every day until March 18 works from the Toi Te Papa collection will be projected onto the canvas of the outside walls of Te Papa on an epic scale. A mix of collected works and Tuffery’s own works, accompanied by a soundtrack of collected sound bites, will grace the waterfront slap-bang in the middle of the Festival of the Arts. This should be absolutely incredible and a work of this scale is very rare for Wellington, so it is definitely worth a look.