April 2, 2012 | by  | in Opinion |

Ngai Tauira

• E toru nga mea,
  • Nga mea nunui,
  • E ki ana,
  • Te Paipera,
  • Whakapono,
  • Tumanako,
  • Ko te mea nui,
  • Ko te aroha. 

Most of you are probably familiar with this waiata. It is often sung at the beginning of a communal project or gathering. Why is this so?

When we come together we must put aside our differences. It is a matter of growing up and taking our business seriously. We start fresh but these things—faith, hope and love–remain. Faith, believing in the ability of each other to do their job. Hope gives us a target; what we want to achieve. Finally, love—the most important thing.

Here’s a saying “Tapu, tapu te korero.” It reminds us of the sacredness of our words. Aroha,—love—is often thrown around without really being thought about. It’s used as a nice sentiment; but aroha is more than this, it is life giving.

Has someone told you they love you? Did it make you smile? Love requires action and it must be selfless. Love doesn’t require someone to make the first move or for there to be any benefits as a result. Love has its own rules.

We can learn how to do the right thing but the rules can limit this. Love is above reason and has no limits; there isn’t a river too wide for love to cross. Aroha is powerful; it gives a person the strength to do things that were once thought impossible.

As Easter approaches, we are given the image of a man nailed to a cross in the name of love. Are you willing to give your
life for the freedom of another? Are you willing to put your reputation on the line? Are you willing to break social norms? Are you prepared to listen?

Aroha is unconditional, through good times and bad it will remain. It shows us the good in people; it causes us to believe for the best and to keep hope for the future. It is aroha that binds and keeps us together.