April 2, 2012 | by  | in Opinion |

Partisan Hacks – Love/Lust

Salient asked: “Should same-sex marriage be legalised?” The Hacks respond…

Vic Labour – Reed Fleming

Labour has already achieved significant legislative change for the GLBT community through decriminalising homosexuality and legalising civil unions. In the 2011 election Labour promised to legalise same-sex marriage, but go beyond that and ensure safety of GLBT young people in schools.

Labour recognises the human right of all people to be free of discrimination, and strongly supports same-sex marriage.

National MPs have in the past been strong opponents to granting GLBT people human rights, and have said that this human right is “not a policy priority”.

NZ First – Amy Hodgkinson

It’s up to individual MPs as to how they would vote on this issue as there are a diverse range of views within the party.
If the legislation of same-sex marriage came to the attention of the House in the form of a Bill, then New Zealand First MPs would vote according to their own personal conscience rather than following a party position. Usually, a conscience vote will be about religious, moral or ethical issues. Since 2002, there have been 38 Bills before parliament that have been a conscience vote.

ACT On Campus – Michael Warren

ACT on Campus supports the legalisation of same-sex marriage. We believe couples, whether gay or straight, should be free to marry without government involvement or interference.

Greens@Vic – Harriet Farquar

The legalisation of same-sex marriage is long overdue. To deny people the right to marriage on the grounds of their sexuality is plain discrimination. Civil unions do not provide the same benefits as marriage, primarily because they are not as widely understood or respected. To be a country that can pride itself on protecting the equal rights of all its citizens, we need marriage equality. If it is less than marriage, then it’s less than equal.

Young Nats – Christian hermansen

Yes.

1. Reed Fleming, of Vic Labour, said “Labour has already achieved significant legislative change for the GLBT community through decriminalising homosexuality”.

This is not true. The Homosexual Law Reform Bill was introduced by Fran Wilde (then Labour MP for Wellington Central) as a Member’s Bill (rather than a Government Bill). Subsequently, the vote was a conscience vote.

9 Labour MPs, in government, voted against the bill, and 3 National MPs, in opposition, vote for the bill. The majority of Labour MPs were in support and the majority of Nats opposed,http://votes.wotfun.com/bill/31 so I will give Reed the benefit of the doubt, but it is an important distinction.