April 2, 2012 | by  | in Arts Music |

Recipe: Hot Stuff

I am not going to sugar coat this: Nigella Lawson gives me the biggest lady-boner, ever. She is a domestic goddess of epic proportions and her cooking shows make me swoon! I love to read her recipes because I hear her sultry voice in my head, dictating the intricacies of her yummy recipes.

For that very reason, I am going to share with you her hot cross bun recipe this Easter. It’s zesty and delicious. I did share a hot cross bun recipe last year, but this one is pretty great as well. I used my bread maker to knead the dough because I find it to be much more convenient if I have time, but a lot of joy does come from labouring it out and kneading the dough by hand. I like mine quite spicy, but if you don’t, feel free to decrease the amount of ginger/cinnamon and if you don’t like the fruit, swap it for chocolate chips and dried apricots.

WHAT YOU NEED

• ▴  2/3 cup milk
  • ▴  50g butter
  • ▴  The zest of 1 orange
  • ▴  1 clove
  • ▴  1⁄4 tsp. ground cardamom (or 2 cardamom pods)
  • ▴  1 tbsp. honey
  • ▴  400g white flour
  • ▴  7g easy bake yeast (about 2 1⁄2 tsp)
  • ▴  80g raisins
  • ▴  30g dried cranberries
  • ▴  2 tsp. cinnamon
  • ▴  1 tsp. ginger
  • ▴  2 eggs (one for egg wash)
  • ▴  2 tbsp. flour, 1⁄2 tbsp. caster sugar and 2 tbsp. boiling water (for the cross)
  • ▴  1 tbsp. caster sugar, mixed with 1 tbsp. boiling water (for the sugar glaze)

WHAT TO DO

Heat the milk, butter, orange zest, clove, cardamom and honey in a pot on a low heat. Reduce the heat so it is below boiling and let the flavours infuse for about ten minutes. Remove the clove and cardamom pods from the milk (if you used them), beat in one of the eggs and pour the mixture into your bread maker pan. Build flour, yeast, dried fruit and spices on top and set to dough setting/add to wet ingredients, stir with a knife to bring together then kneed for 10 minutes, let rise then knead again. Divide into 16 balls and score with a cross shape, egg wash the buns and then mark with your cross mixture. Bake in a 200 degree Celsius oven for 15-20 mins, remove and glaze while hot.

page42image62888
page42image63160
page42image63432
page42image63704
page42image63976
page42image64248