April 2, 2012 | by  | in Opinion |

Student Health: Sexual Health!

Sexual Health Checks available at Victoria University. How convenient is that!

The Student Health Service (SHS) offers all current students free* or low cost sexual health consultations at our clinics on the Kelburn and Pipitea campuses.

Worried about having a check? Don’t be— we will be able to put you at ease about how simple and quick a sexual health check can be.

WHY HAVE A SEXUAL HEALTH CHECK

To make sure you don’t have any Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs), because some STIs have no symptoms.

WHEN TO HAVE A SEXUAL HEALTH CHECK

Anytime you are experiencing unusual symptoms, such as burning when you pass, an unusual discharge or you notice lumps and bumps where there weren’t any before. Other times are two weeks after you have had sex with someone new or two weeks after the end of a sexual relationship. Testing at these times covers the incubation periods of the most common infections.

INCUBATION TIMES

Incubation time refers to the time from when you may have been infected with a STI until you can be tested for its presence. Generally the STIs can be divided into two groups: those which we can test for in three weeks, e.g. chlamydia and gonorrhoea, and those which need to be tested for in three months such as HIV and Hepatitis.

WHAT IS INVOLVED WHEN YOU HAVE A SEXUAL HEALTH CHECK?

We know how daunting it can be to make that first appointment. It is fine if you want to bring a friend with you or you can ask for a chaperone. The consultation starts with history-taking. This clinical information helps us to decide which tests we would recommend.

Before you are examined, the procedure will be explained so there will be no surprises. The physical examination involves checking the genital area.

For women, swabs will be taken from the vagina and cervix and a urine test maybe be requested. Men will require
a chlamydia urine test and occasionally a swab may be taken. The swab is very small. To ensure the test is accurate, it is recommended that the specimens be taken at least two hours after you last passed urine.

If you have any questions on any aspects of your health—including sexual or reproductive health—make an appointment at the SHS. You can be confident that you will be provided with skilled and sensitive professional care from our doctors and nurses.

Other places to have a STI check include your regular medical centre, or a Family Planning (FP) clinic. The Sexual Health Service at 275 Cuba Street is also available and there is no charge for anyone to be seen there. Call 0800 188 881 for more information.

WEBSITE FOR INFORMATION REGARDING STIS AUCKLAND SEXUAL HEALTH SERVICE www.ashs.org.nz

*Additional laboratory charges apply for non-New Zealand residents.