The Week That Wasn’t

VICTORIA UNIVERSITY’S HYDE STREET KEG PARTY HAMPERED BY FACT NO HYDE STREET IN WELLINGTON

Following the success of Otago University students’ annual Hyde Street keg party last weekend, a group of Victoria University students hosted their own unofficial Hyde Street party on Saturday, advertising the event on Facebook. However the party was a disaster as none of the hosts or guests were able to attend, primarily due to the fact there is no Hyde Street in Wellington.

On Friday night the Facebook event listed over 200 people as “definitely going, hell yea, this event is going to be rad”. When converted into real terms this equated to about 40 people considering—maybe—if they got their readings done first—going for perhaps an hour but only having a beer or two.

One user commented “sorry could someone give me directions google maps must glitching lol.” A group of would-be attendees found in Burger Fuel at 3am on Sunday expressed their frustration. “We tried to find the party, we really did, but the only

Hyde Street near here is in Wainuiomata. Where the fuck is that?” Salient was unable to find out where the fuck Wainuiomata is either.

VUWSA President Bridle Good was asked if the association would consider getting involved in the planning of a street party in the future. “If we did, it would have to be on one of Wellington’s own streets dominated by student housing with reasonable rent like… er…” An awkward silence followed as Good stared out a window awaiting inspiration. Salient asked Otago University student and Hyde Street resident Brad Kingston what he thought about the copy-cat event and the spread of Dunedin’s drinking culture. Slurring slightly, he answered: “Getting drunk everyday and doing no work all semester with seemingly no consequences? Can you even do Sports Science at Vic?”

1. Groan says:

i remember when this column was funny