April 23, 2012 | by  | in Opinion |

VUWSA Presidential Address

Hi everyone!

Welcome back to the second half of Trimester One. Hopefully you all got to have some time off study and work and made the most of your break. I spent a few days over Easter soaking up the sun in Pukerua Bay and drinking a bit too much Pimms – twas grand.

Congratulations to those students who spent some of their holidays competing for Vic at the 2012 Uni Games. Overall Vic came 3rd, behind Auckland and AUT. We picked up gold in debating (for the 14th year in a row), basketball and ultimate frisbee as well as silver in volleyball and our other ultimate team got bronze. Despite the weather turning for the worst midweek, everyone had a goodtime and it was great to see students from across the country coming together to compete for the Uni Games Shield.

But now it’s back to Uni. Back to writing essays, attending tutorials and waiting in line for 20 minutes to get a computer at the library. Alongside all this regular excitement this week, you will receive an email from the University inviting you to participate in the 2012 Student Experience Improvement Survey.

This survey, in its second year now, is a way for the University to find out how students think they are doing at providing a well rounded student experience. Vic wants to know your views on the current services that are provided to you. What is working well, what could be improved and is anything failing miserably?

Student feedback from the last survey has helped to make some significant changes at Victoria, such as making the enrolment process easier and changing the enrolment deadlines to give students more time to decide on their study options. Student responses have promoted Vic to make changes such as ensuring that there is a greater number of and more visible staff and student helpers around campus during orientation. And thanks to last years results the University have now bought an additional ID card machine to reduce the wait for ID cards at the start of Trimester 1.

Often it can fill like you fill out surveys and questionnaires and nothing ever happens with the feedback. But these changes are a direct result of what can happen when students engage in feedback processes. We get university systems that seek to make our experiences easier and more positive. Having a say in this survey will make a difference. And, better yet, if you complete the survey you go into the draw to win one of ten $100 New World vouchers.

And finally, VUWSA has accepted an invitation from the Wellington City Council and Wellington Returned Services Association to lay a wreath to commemorate ANZAC Day this Wednesday. I will be laying a wreath on behalf of VUWSA at the Citizens’ Service of Commemoration and Wreath Laying ceremony, which will begin with a service at Wellington Cathedral at 9.30am with the wreath laying at the Cenotaph on Lambton Quay at 10am.

I wish you all the best for your first week back. Try to get back on top of those readings, avoid sleeping in class if possible (you are paying to be there remember) and fill out the Student Experience improvement Strategy. Oh and don’t forget – only 7 more weeks and some exams till you are back on holiday again!

GOT A QUESTION, SOME FEEDBACK OR A WITTY ONE LINER – GIVE US A TWEET @VUWSA