May 28, 2012 | by  |

Bad Spelling And Rock Satire

Tenacious D return with their third album full of all of what you would expect and more. The cover art of Rize Of The Fenix looks like a doodle out of the scrapbook of any kid with obsessive compulsive penis drawing disorder, the phallic imagery is very prominent. The band are once again taking the mickey.

The album begins with its title track, a catchy epic which will have fans singing along to for years to come, a song about the band rising from the ashes like a phoenix. Accompanied by its video it is a powerful satire of the music industry.

Fenix shows a return to the audio skits heard in their debut album. These provide more comic relief and poke fun at rock.
A favourite track is “Throw down”, which lyrically takes on a religious theme. Usually the combination of comedy and religion is unstable territory, but the D manage to pull it off creating an awesome track that fails to offend.The album’s high points are Jack’s range of singing, which crosses a range of genre, from singing in Spanglish, to blues, to the style of a romantic ballad. Jack’s lyrics—the highlight being ‘Rock is dead’, a blues song containing a brief rock history “Beatles arrive, started a trend, Axl Rose, give me some head”—and Kyle’s consistently great guitar playing which matches genre’s as easily as Jack’s voice, Kyle’s backup vocal’s throughout the album are the perfect accompaniment, taking all songs a step higher.

If you are new to Tenacious D just beware of the vulgar content, one image I didn’t want to imagine was set in my head in
the lyric “When we text each other, I fiddle with my anus” which by itself just a disturbing image, but in the context of “39” a satirical love song it is spot on humour. Anyone who is already a fan of Tenacious D will love the album, enjoying each song as it takes a different genre and uses its conventions to create satirical gold.

1. Salient seeks new contributors
  2. Web designer needed
  3. San Cisco—Gracetown
  4. Shovel Knight
  5. NZUSA rides the alimony pony
  6. [Theme not found]
  7. Pink Passion Pop
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less
  9. 80 Years of Penguin
  10. Up and Adam

Most popular

1. Salient seeks new contributors 99 views
  2. The Übermensch 34 views
  3. I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree 22 views
  4. NZUSA rides the alimony pony 18 views
  5. The Bresolin Brothers 16 views
  6. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less 14 views
  7. Can the Hipster Survive in Wellington? 12 views
  8. Twitterviews 11 views
  9. Holy Fuck! Vic Uni Ruled by White Males 11 views
  10. Ermagherd, rent 10 views
grad

I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree

by

For students all across the world, years of study culminate in a perfunctory ritual known as “graduation”. After three years of napping at Victoria’s Te Aro campus, it was my turn to partake in the tradition.

Read more