Death Of VUWSA Just A ‘Typo’

O RLY?

The University has backed down on attempts to establish and mandate a new primary student representative body, with a senior management team member telling University Council that it was merely a “typo”. Such an explanation has been deemed implausible, given the sheer amount of opportunities there were for it to be noticed or corrected.

Documents as far back as October, in addition to the alteration to the Academic Board statute, demonstrate that the Student Forum was intended to be the primary representational structure.
Salient, which usually receives a lot of feedback on typos, was also not corrected when it referred to the Student Forum as the new primary representative body earlier this year.

“When conceptualizing the Forum it was always discussed as ‘a place of representation’ – but not as a representative body itself. Our talks with University management always centered on the Forum as a consultative body,” VUWSA President Bridie Hood explained.

Salient is yet to be convinced by any party. Pending further investigations, further details regarding the “typo” will appear in a subsequent issue.

In October Victoria’s University Council moved to establish and mandate the concept of the Student Forum—a student council of around 30 students, with representatives from various faculties and pre-established representational avenues such as VUWSA and PGSA—VUWSA and University management then began discussions to produce a Terms of Reference for how the Forum would run. When it was presented to Academic Board in March, VUWSA President Bridie Hood raised issues with the lack of genuine student consultation that had occurred, citing it as an oversight on both parts.

A motion was passed that it be sent out to wider student consultation before it’s establishment later this year, a play which triggered a much needed, though behind the scenes, debate on how VUWSA’s relationship with the University would sit in a voluntary environment.