May 21, 2012 | by  |

Doco Edge Festival

Documentary is an important genre of film, one which seeks to expose and critique, but one that the general populace does not embrace as they do others. The Documentary Edge Festival, running from May 17th to June 4th, provides an excellent opportunity for audiences to enjoy something that not only entertains, but informs. The line-up this year is fantastic, and the following films are worth your attention and your money…

Revenge of the Electric Car

A sequel to the eye-opening Who Killed the Electric Car, the film charts the sudden resurgence of the electric car and why car companies are now frantically trying to gain a foothold in the market. Narrated by the charming Tim Robbins, this should appeal to the good old environmentalist/hippie in all of us.

Intersexion

To many, the concept of intersex people is foreign, which makes this eye-opening film all the more important. Intersexion follows Mani Mitchell, an intersex New Zealander, through whom we discover the prejudice and misperceptions that these people constantly face. The film garnered significant acclaim during its Auckland run for its penetrating examination of what being an intersex person in modern society entails.

Aang San Suu Kyi

To many Burmese, Aang San Suu Kyi is a heroine who has bravely battled an oppressive military junta in order to defend her people. This film delves into the life of a woman whose unwavering commitment to the power of democracy has influenced so many around the world. Hopefully the film won’t devolve into hero worship, and instead attempt to paint a realistic picture of this influential woman.

Sarah Palin: You Betcha!

The productof a number of interviews with Palin’s family and friends, many critics have praised respected documentarian Nick Broomfield’s dissection of this polarising figure’s fundamentalist nature. If, like me, you despise Palin, then this looks to give you insider knowledge to back up your wild assertions.

Forerunners

Using the lives of four black middle class professionals as a microcosm for the changes after Apartheid, Forerunners attempts to uncover how the state of black South Africans has evolved (or not). If the filmmakers apply an appropriately critical eye, then this could be a brilliant expose of South Africa’s systematic societal problems.

1. Salient seeks new contributors
  2. Web designer needed
  3. San Cisco—Gracetown
  4. Shovel Knight
  5. NZUSA rides the alimony pony
  6. [Theme not found]
  7. Pink Passion Pop
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less
  9. 80 Years of Penguin
  10. Up and Adam

Most popular

1. Salient seeks new contributors 101 views
  2. The Übermensch 41 views
  3. NZUSA rides the alimony pony 25 views
  4. I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree 20 views
  5. Can the Hipster Survive in Wellington? 18 views
  6. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less 16 views
  7. The Bresolin Brothers 14 views
  8. Twitterviews 12 views
  9. Holy Fuck! Vic Uni Ruled by White Males 11 views
  10. The Sedulous Recorder 10 views
grad

I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree

by

For students all across the world, years of study culminate in a perfunctory ritual known as “graduation”. After three years of napping at Victoria’s Te Aro campus, it was my turn to partake in the tradition.

Read more