May 21, 2012 | by  | in Arts Film |

Doco Edge Festival

Documentary is an important genre of film, one which seeks to expose and critique, but one that the general populace does not embrace as they do others. The Documentary Edge Festival, running from May 17th to June 4th, provides an excellent opportunity for audiences to enjoy something that not only entertains, but informs. The line-up this year is fantastic, and the following films are worth your attention and your money…

Revenge of the Electric Car

A sequel to the eye-opening Who Killed the Electric Car, the film charts the sudden resurgence of the electric car and why car companies are now frantically trying to gain a foothold in the market. Narrated by the charming Tim Robbins, this should appeal to the good old environmentalist/hippie in all of us.

To many, the concept of intersex people is foreign, which makes this eye-opening film all the more important. Intersexion follows Mani Mitchell, an intersex New Zealander, through whom we discover the prejudice and misperceptions that these people constantly face. The film garnered significant acclaim during its Auckland run for its penetrating examination of what being an intersex person in modern society entails.

Aang San Suu Kyi

To many Burmese, Aang San Suu Kyi is a heroine who has bravely battled an oppressive military junta in order to defend her people. This film delves into the life of a woman whose unwavering commitment to the power of democracy has influenced so many around the world. Hopefully the film won’t devolve into hero worship, and instead attempt to paint a realistic picture of this influential woman.

Sarah Palin: You Betcha!

The productof a number of interviews with Palin’s family and friends, many critics have praised respected documentarian Nick Broomfield’s dissection of this polarising figure’s fundamentalist nature. If, like me, you despise Palin, then this looks to give you insider knowledge to back up your wild assertions.

Using the lives of four black middle class professionals as a microcosm for the changes after Apartheid, Forerunners attempts to uncover how the state of black South Africans has evolved (or not). If the filmmakers apply an appropriately critical eye, then this could be a brilliant expose of South Africa’s systematic societal problems.

1. Turns out there wasn’t a bomb LOL
  2. IDF soldiers speak on campus
  3. Why I voted for fee rises
  4. Fuck the Establishment
  5. Facebook upset over fee rises
  6. Hack Like Nobody’s Watching
  7. The Ian Curtis Memorial Wall, Wallace Street: An Investigation
  8. Why I Hate Baby Boomers
  9. Foibles of a Foxton Forger
  10. Coppers Become Croppers

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.