Screen shot 2012-05-21 at 9.27.21 AM

Fly, Pretty Things!

Vic students graduate, parade straight to WINZ

Not even the token Wellington rainfalls could dampen the spirits of those involved in Victoria University’s mid-year graduation ceremonies, which took place last week.

A record high of 2118 graduands were capped over the five ceremonies, receiving over 88 different degrees, diplomas and certificates.

Salient was there for the Faculty of Commerce and Administration’s ceremony, held at the Michael Fowler Center on Wednesday, 16 May. Graduate Amanda Chaw articulated the relief felt by herself and her fellows. “[I’m] very happy, very pleased, excited,” she said. “All the all-nighters, all the energy drinks, all finally paid off.”

Fellow graduate Aaron Baggenstos agreed. “Four years of work finally done,” he said. Chancellor Ian McKinnon made no attempts to conceal his pride in those who had served the University.

“The graduates are all well deserving of our congratulations… Graduation is a milestone in the life of all whose names are recorded,” he said.

“With their diverse range of skills and attributes, our graduates make a valuable contribution to New Zealand’s economy and society, and I wish them every success for their future endeavours”

For some, like Sumu, the sense of accomplishment was marred by the bittersweet feeling of a significant part of their lives coming to a close.

“I’m excited, but sad because I enjoy studying,” she said. “It’s slightly cliché, but enjoy it while it lasts, it’s a really wonderful time.”

Most of those Salient spoke with expressed an intention to head overseas at some point in their careers, enticed either by the promise of higher wages or new experiences.

Matt Wilson returned briefly to New Zealand for the ceremony, having worked in Australia for six months.

“It’s all a big flashback. I got a job two days after my final exam, so credit goes to Vic. They’ve been great.”

Mr Baggenstos had final parting words for current undergraduate students.

“Just keep going.”