Food – Lovin’ From The Oven

As I imagine is the case with most people, some days I can happily spend hours in the kitchen, whipping up a feast with all the trimmings and other days, I totally can’t be arsed. When you find yourself feeling this way, don’t reach for those two-minute noodles; consider this week’s column a lifeline. This is my go-to recipe for breakfast, lunch and dinner when I can’t be bothered but still wish to abide by my 5-plus-a-day requirements and avoid feeling scurvalicious.*

Ingredients

• ▴  1 can cream style corn (My advice would be NOT to buy budget, it’s a bit shit)
  • ▴  1⁄2 cup self raising flour (or normal flour + 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder), sifted
  • ▴ 1 egg
  • ▴ Salt and pepper
  • ▴ Feta, diced (optional)

Directions

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until just combined. Heat a pan with a little oil and spoon into pan (about a heaped tablespoon) to make wee fritter shapes. Fry on each side until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes). Serve with sautéed spinach and mushrooms and a poached egg. Or, with sliced avocado, tomato and some balsamic vinegar. Or, pop them in a burger bun with all your favourites (or whatever is in the fridge) for a tasty vege burger.

*Scurvalicious – from the original ‘scurvy’, that feeling when you have eaten too many pies and kebabs and not enough of the good stuff (A Molly McCarthy original). 

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t