Food – Lovin’ From The Oven

As I imagine is the case with most people, some days I can happily spend hours in the kitchen, whipping up a feast with all the trimmings and other days, I totally can’t be arsed. When you find yourself feeling this way, don’t reach for those two-minute noodles; consider this week’s column a lifeline. This is my go-to recipe for breakfast, lunch and dinner when I can’t be bothered but still wish to abide by my 5-plus-a-day requirements and avoid feeling scurvalicious.*

Ingredients

• ▴  1 can cream style corn (My advice would be NOT to buy budget, it’s a bit shit)
  • ▴  1⁄2 cup self raising flour (or normal flour + 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder), sifted
  • ▴ 1 egg
  • ▴ Salt and pepper
  • ▴ Feta, diced (optional)

Directions

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until just combined. Heat a pan with a little oil and spoon into pan (about a heaped tablespoon) to make wee fritter shapes. Fry on each side until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes). Serve with sautéed spinach and mushrooms and a poached egg. Or, with sliced avocado, tomato and some balsamic vinegar. Or, pop them in a burger bun with all your favourites (or whatever is in the fridge) for a tasty vege burger.

*Scurvalicious – from the original ‘scurvy’, that feeling when you have eaten too many pies and kebabs and not enough of the good stuff (A Molly McCarthy original). 

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con