Food – Lovin’ From The Oven

As I imagine is the case with most people, some days I can happily spend hours in the kitchen, whipping up a feast with all the trimmings and other days, I totally can’t be arsed. When you find yourself feeling this way, don’t reach for those two-minute noodles; consider this week’s column a lifeline. This is my go-to recipe for breakfast, lunch and dinner when I can’t be bothered but still wish to abide by my 5-plus-a-day requirements and avoid feeling scurvalicious.*

Ingredients

• ▴  1 can cream style corn (My advice would be NOT to buy budget, it’s a bit shit)
  • ▴  1⁄2 cup self raising flour (or normal flour + 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder), sifted
  • ▴ 1 egg
  • ▴ Salt and pepper
  • ▴ Feta, diced (optional)

Directions

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until just combined. Heat a pan with a little oil and spoon into pan (about a heaped tablespoon) to make wee fritter shapes. Fry on each side until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes). Serve with sautéed spinach and mushrooms and a poached egg. Or, with sliced avocado, tomato and some balsamic vinegar. Or, pop them in a burger bun with all your favourites (or whatever is in the fridge) for a tasty vege burger.

*Scurvalicious – from the original ‘scurvy’, that feeling when you have eaten too many pies and kebabs and not enough of the good stuff (A Molly McCarthy original). 

1. Interview with Katie Bruce
  2. Summertime Sadness: An Ode to a Short-Lasting Summer
  3. For Teresia
  4. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Season One
  5. Hit and Run
  6. what an idiot
  7. Shakti Refuge Refused Funding
  8. VIC UFO
Salient (4)

Summertime Sadness: An Ode to a Short-Lasting Summer

: - SPONSORED - As the Wellington’s annual premature cold kicks in, the hashtag tbt increases sevenfold and we all begin to get moody at the thought of the imminent mould sure to resurface in the coming months. I was fortunate enough to grab at least a week of sunshine and happin