Food – Lovin’ From The Oven

As I imagine is the case with most people, some days I can happily spend hours in the kitchen, whipping up a feast with all the trimmings and other days, I totally can’t be arsed. When you find yourself feeling this way, don’t reach for those two-minute noodles; consider this week’s column a lifeline. This is my go-to recipe for breakfast, lunch and dinner when I can’t be bothered but still wish to abide by my 5-plus-a-day requirements and avoid feeling scurvalicious.*

Ingredients

• ▴  1 can cream style corn (My advice would be NOT to buy budget, it’s a bit shit)
  • ▴  1⁄2 cup self raising flour (or normal flour + 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder), sifted
  • ▴ 1 egg
  • ▴ Salt and pepper
  • ▴ Feta, diced (optional)

Directions

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until just combined. Heat a pan with a little oil and spoon into pan (about a heaped tablespoon) to make wee fritter shapes. Fry on each side until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes). Serve with sautéed spinach and mushrooms and a poached egg. Or, with sliced avocado, tomato and some balsamic vinegar. Or, pop them in a burger bun with all your favourites (or whatever is in the fridge) for a tasty vege burger.

*Scurvalicious – from the original ‘scurvy’, that feeling when you have eaten too many pies and kebabs and not enough of the good stuff (A Molly McCarthy original).