News On The March

• ☛  In a fit of vitriol, President Obama seizes on the one year anniversary of the death
    of American Enemy Number One Osama Bin Laden to question the leadership qualities of Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney in a series of television advertisements. Seeming to forget Bush’s eight year reign of patriotic terror, Republicans cry out over the abominable politicisation of a day of American victory.

☛  It seems this month Bin-Laden gossip is in vogue, as the US Military releases a trove of Bin-Laden’s documents captured in the covert operation that culminated in his death. Documents reveal that Osama thought assassinating Biden wasn’t worth the hassle.

• ☛  Government officials prevent blind Chinese dissident Chen Guangeng from meeting with US diplomats. The Chinese government promises to keep him safe though–by installing CCTV cameras throughout his house, threatening his family and restricting his freedom of movement.

☛  Despite wanting only to celebrate the annual marijuana ‘4:20’ festival, San Diego college student, Daniel Chong, is instead obtained by federal agents, detained unlawfully, left in a cell without food and water with nothing but a small amount of meth, forgotten for five days and forced eventually to drink his own urine. In the land of the free, the price of getting high is, it seems, high.

☛  Invercargill is ravaged by a spate of tree-related vandalism, culminating in the wanton destruction of 10 saplings. Notoriously pro-vegetation city Councillor Neil Boniface resolves to create “positive outlets” for Invercargill’s foliage-hating youth, such that they no longer “feel the need to destroy things.”