News On The March

The world this week

• ☛  Ethnic minorities now make up more than half of all children born in the US, reflecting serious transformation to the makeup of the American populace. The term ‘ethnic minority’ now seems a little awkward.
  • ☛  Two paralysed patients succeed in controlling a robotic arm using only the power of their thoughts–and a little tiny sensor chip in their brains. My friends, the future is here and it’s even better than in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.
  • ☛  Former News of the World Chief Executive Rebekah Brooks is ‘baffled’ by charges of obstructing justice following the disappearance of seven boxes of paperwork and a number of computers from the now-defunct newspaper’s offices. Brooks’ husband claims that the charges are a “witch- hunt”; Salient agrees that Brooks is indeed a witch.
  • ☛  Francois Hollande meets with German Chancellor Angela Merkel, nearly immediately after being sworn in as President of France in a suitably austere Parisian ceremony. Like a stale croissant, the relationship between the two is purported to be flaky.
  • ☛  And so Greece have their elections and it’s a total clusterfuck with everyone voting for everyone and no one having any idea whatsoever what’s happening in the voting booth and it’s all very distressing really. The Eurozone is going to Hell.
  • ☛  A 26-year-old Queenstown man is arrested for swinging from light-fitting in the smoking area at Cowboys bar. The light is torn from its fixture.

1. Podcasts on Pop Culture
  2. Interview with The Beths
  3. Departures
  4. NZIFF Pt 2 (We Saw More Films)
  5. DIY Alcohol
  6. Books to Inspire Your Travels
  8. In Our Environment