Ngai Tauira – Te Upoko

Te Reo Irirangi Māori o Te Upoko o Te Ika Māori Radio Station 1161AM recently celebrated their 25th Birthday Celebrations with a week including entertainment at Te Papa, a Symposium at Te Herenga Waka Marae and a Gala Dinner at the Amora Hotel Marae during which its Kaumatua Henare Kingi was honoured.

This station which is the oldest Māori Radio Station in the country has close links to Victoria University staff and tauira from the period when in 1983 Te Reo o Pōneke was established using what was then the Radio Active facilities. This relationship continues today with Julian Wilcox and Tere Harrison being two of the better known NT Alumni and Petera Hakiwai one of the current announcers. Victoria University staff also have history at Te Ūpoko. Whaea Te Ripowai higgins was one of the first female rugby commentators.

Pōneke’s oldest Kapahaka Roopu–Ngāti Pōneke is celebrating its 75th Birthday this Queen’s Birthday weekend with a Gala Dinner on the Saturday at Pipitea Marae and a church service with a welcome to the US Marines who are celebrating 70 years since they were stationed at Kapiti during WWII. This is followed by a kapahaka performance from the club including members who were present in 1937 when the club started and quite possibly two over 95 who are founding members. One of our history doctorate students Erin Keenan is involved in updating the historical side of the club and many of our Tauira have performed with Ngāti Poneke over the years.

A reminder of both Nga Taura Umanga’s AGM on Thursday 24th May 5pm and NTU’s event with Te Awe on Weds 30th May.