Nothin’ But Net

SHOULD SOLDIERS RECEIVE FOOTBALLERS’ WAGES? SHORT ANSWER, NO. HERE’S WHY

It’s not hard to see the case here. Compare a soldier’s wages with the bloated figures professional athletes rake in and it’s not hard to see who earns more relative to their societal contributions.

This can also be said of teachers, police officers, rubbish collectors, or indeed almost any profession.

So the argument goes, it’s unfair that these people eke out a living while some young hot-shot with bad hair (Neymar + Google Images. DO IT) can buy his kid a private island in the Caribbean for kicking a ball around.

In fairness, not many people realise how much effort goes into being that good at ‘kicking a ball’. Lionel Messi’s been doing it since he was five years old and he’s really not an isolated example.

That, however, isn’t my main point.

The thing with a professional athlete’s employer is that, unlike the teacher or soldier, they’re a private entity.

To highlight what I mean, in 2009 Cristiano Ronaldo was sold to Real Madrid—who are admittedly known for throwing money around like a cheerleader in the New York Knicks’ locker-room—for around £80 million where he still earns roughly £10 million per year.

This is where BA students and Aro Valley residents rush to attack the unjust system that spawned such a travesty. After all, he is the one per cent who is causing all the world’s problems.

Well actually, the club sold 1.2 million jerseys with his name on them within a year of the transfer. Let that sink in for a bit. That’s just the jerseys—never mind the framed photographs, autographed balls and all the other crap the club sells.

While CR7 contributes less to society than our hypothetical teacher (taxes aside), such exorbitant costs do come from somewhere. If he doesn’t generate that much income for his bosses, he doesn’t get paid what he does.

Don’t like the system? Don’t contribute to their income—they won’t get offended. The same goes for any kind of entertainment.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos