Partisan Hacks – Environment

Salient asked, “What needs to be done to make the NZ dairy industry environmentally sustainable?” The Hacks respond…

NZ First – Curwen Rolinson

Point number one is that we need to ensure the industry remains Kiwi owned. We also need to make the punishments for environmental violations more severe and actually enforce them. We need to engage Federated Farmers, and we must stop being complacent about the role of our dairy industry in ongoing waterway degradation.

ACT On Campus – Michael Warren

Proper enforcement of current regulation is all that is needed to make the dairy industry more sustainable. Politicians, lobbyists and environmentalists must understand that every new regulation is an extra cost on business, which inevitably affects New Zealand’s economic performance. The only way to increase our wages is if we increase our productivity, and that will not happen if the regulatory burden on business keeps growing.

Vic labour – Reed Flemming

Much needs to be done to make dairying, an important export sector, sustainable in New Zealand. This includes using water carefully for irrigation, treating effluent to protect rivers, having strict fertilising standards to safeguard groundwater and a comprehensive Emissions Trading Scheme including agriculture. To grow our economy and be a sustainable country we have to look at alternative exports, specifically in the high-tech sector to make a smarter, richer, greener New Zealand.

Greens@Vic – Harriet Farquar

Dairy farming is vital to New Zealand. It is imperative therefore, so as to future-proof our economy, bthat we protect our ‘clean green’ brand. Under the Government’s current plan, which further delays the introduction of agriculture into the ETS, the taxpayers are subsidising the pollution. We need a fair ETS, which puts in place the right economic incentives to encourage the industry to adopt sustainable practices, and maximise the long-term resilience of our economy.

Vicnats – Haley Mortimer

Agriculture is an ingrained part of New Zealand society; the ‘backbone’ to the economy, earning more than 40% of total export income. Environmental sustainability within the industry will come from the control of nutrient run-off; utilising pre existing legal bodies for water quality standards. Achieved through sector education and acknowledgment of the value of the natural capital and the wealth sustaining ability it holds.