Partisan Hacks – Gender

Salient asked: “what needs to be done to close the gender gap?” The Hacks respond…

NZ First – Curwen Rolinson

NZ First is committed to the idea of equal pay for equal work; as we demonstrated when we voted to abolish youth rates. The same principles apply here. We need to recognize that both a gender wage gap and a gender employment gap exist in our job market. We need to fight sexist stereotypes and double standards with education and legal protection, and explore solutions from successful overseas models. This must include an enhancement of paid parental leave, and a greater presence and role for unions in the workplace in fighting wage discrimination.

ACT On Campus – Michael Warren

he ACT Party has no official policy on the gender wage-gap. However, we welcome any suggestons to help close it.

Vic Labour – Lydia McKinnon

New Zealand’s gender wage gap is inexcusable. In practical terms, a woman earns about 90 cents for every dollar a man does. Labour is committed to tackling this issue by reinstating the Pay Equity Unit scrapped by National, restoring the Training Incentive Allowance which was cut by National and reinstating the goal that 50 per cent of the positions on state sector boards will be held by women. These measures are vital if New Zealand wants to be a truly equal society.

Greens@Vic – Harriet Farquhar

New Zealand adopted the Equal Pay Equity Act in 1972, and yet on average women still earn 12 per cent less than men per hour. Green MP Jan Logie’s Equal Pay Amendment Bill however, provides a way to effectively address this issue. Currently it is very difficult to check employers are complying with the law, this Bill therefore would make information about gender pay in their workplace available to workers, and publicly publish nation-wide gender pay data.

Vic Nats – Christian Hermansen

National believes that, in a fair and just society, all wages and working conditions should be fair and equal. Regardless of the individuals gender, race or religion.