Proven: Hipsters Miserable

Happiness too lamestream anyway

A Victoria PhD student has confirmed that the reason hipsters are miserable is because they are hipsters.

PhD researcher Dr Erica Chadwick found that the way people act when they’re happy has an effect on their overall mental wellbeing.

The three-year study, which looked at just under 2000 New Zealanders, found that people have different strategies for how they manage minor everyday positive events that make up life.

These varied from actively boosting feelings through physical actions, such as celebratory jumping or self congratulatory high-fives, to more subtle strategies such as ‘living in the moment’ and ‘savouring a meal’.

So what impact does this have on hipsters?

Chardwick found that dampening or “keeping things low key” had a negative effect on mental wellbeing. So that sad look a hipster casts from behind their decaf short black, well, it’s not doing them any good.

Chadwick also found that young people realising that a happy moment would one day make a fond memory to enjoy in the future (so they remember it) was beneficial to their overall mental health.

Salient is uncertain whether it would be beneficial to our mental well-being to make a point of remembering our weekend. Even if we could remember it.

The message to hipsters: put some socks on, roll up your trousers, smack a smile on and give yourself a high-five.

7. International Queer in Review
  8. Rostra’s Hot Takes – Queerlient
  9. Issue 14 – Queerlient
  10. Interview with Claudia Jardine