[Public] Saga Ends

President apologises for Queer Officer

The claim of homophobia which caused a social media storm last month has seen VUWSA President Bridie Hood issue a public apology for the part Queer Officer, Genevieve Fowler, played in the [public] bar fiasco.

The apology comes after the withdrawal of a compliant to the Human Rights Commission by two Victoria students, aggrieved at being asked to leave [public] bar in Wellington after indulging in inappropriate behaviour.

President Hood believes that Fowler’s involvement with the complaint against [public] bar was not malicious and was an attempt to act in the best interests of the students she represented. Hood admits that the ensuing media frenzy was “regrettable” and that there were “errors of judgement”.

The President hopes to put the highly publicized issue behind her has said that she stands by her Queer Officer with the continuing work she does to promote and raise awareness of queer issues both on campus and in the wider community.

The President’s full apology can be found at vuwsa.org.nz. 

1. Jason says:

not good enough Gen should stand down, I would rather have the position vacant than with her in it.