Recipe: Grautin Dauphinois

Potatoes are wonderful, aren’t they? They can be cooked hundreds of different ways, they’re cheap, they’re filling and everyone loves them. My all-time favourite way of cooking potatoes is to make a gratin dauphinois–or cheesy potatoes or scalloped potatoes or potato bake, whatever name you’d like to give it. This is fantastic served with a rich beef stew or a lovely steak.

Ingredients

• ▴ 4 medium-sized potatoes
  • ▴ 150ml full-fat milk
  • ▴ 150ml cream
  • ▴ a pinch of nutmeg
  • ▴ 100g grated cheese (gruyère is ideal, but tasty or cheddar will do in a pinch)
  • ▴ 1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half lengthways

Directions

Preheat the oven to 160°C. Peel the potatoes and slice about 2mm thin. Do not wash them–you want them to keep
the starch in them. In a saucepan, heat the milk and cream together. When it is about to boil (ie. you can see small bubbles forming on the surface), add the potatoes. Stir to make sure they’re all covered, then add nutmeg. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Take off the heat and stir in the grated cheese. Rub a 20cm baking dish with the cut half of the garlic clove. Spread the potato mixture evenly in the dish. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the potatoes are cooked and the top starts to brown. If you want to brown the top more, place under a hot grill for a couple of minutes.