Recipe – Pineapple Upside Down Cake

As I have said before, Nigella Lawson is my idol and her recipes are always so easy to read and recreate. The other thing I love about her recipes is they are simple enough that you can adapt them based on what you like or what is in your pantry. Recently I had a can of pineapple rings that needed to be used up so I threw together a retro-cool pineapple upside down cake based on one of Nigella’s recipes with a few tweaks. Pineapple upside down cake is 60s chic and excellent paired with a bourbon old fashioned and an episode of Mad Men.

What you’ll need:

• ▴▴2 Tbsp. Sugar’
  • ▴▴6 slices pineapple from a can (also reserve about a 1/4cup of juice/syrup)
  • ▴▴a handful of almonds or glace cherries
  • ▴▴100g flour
  • ▴▴1/4 cup of desiccated coconut
  • ▴▴1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • ▴▴100g soft butter
  • ▴▴100g caster sugar
  • ▴▴2 eggs

How to make: 

• ▴▴Preheat the oven to 200°C and grease a medium round cake tin well with butter
  • ▴▴Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of sugar on top of the buttered base. Arrange pineapple rings around the base of the tin (I made a circle around the edge and then one in the middle)
  • ▴▴Put almonds/cherries in the middle of the pineapple rings and in any of the gaps.
  • ▴▴Put the flour, pineapple juice, coconut, baking powder, baking soda, butter, caster sugar and eggs into a medium bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined (you can use an electric beater if it’s easier.
  • Pour this mixture carefully over the pineapple rings. Tap the tin on the bench a few times so the mixture evens out.
  • ▴▴Bake for 30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted. While still hot put a plate upside down on top of the cake tin and flip over in one smooth motion.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos