Recipe – Pineapple Upside Down Cake

As I have said before, Nigella Lawson is my idol and her recipes are always so easy to read and recreate. The other thing I love about her recipes is they are simple enough that you can adapt them based on what you like or what is in your pantry. Recently I had a can of pineapple rings that needed to be used up so I threw together a retro-cool pineapple upside down cake based on one of Nigella’s recipes with a few tweaks. Pineapple upside down cake is 60s chic and excellent paired with a bourbon old fashioned and an episode of Mad Men.

What you’ll need:

• ▴▴2 Tbsp. Sugar’
  • ▴▴6 slices pineapple from a can (also reserve about a 1/4cup of juice/syrup)
  • ▴▴a handful of almonds or glace cherries
  • ▴▴100g flour
  • ▴▴1/4 cup of desiccated coconut
  • ▴▴1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • ▴▴100g soft butter
  • ▴▴100g caster sugar
  • ▴▴2 eggs

How to make: 

• ▴▴Preheat the oven to 200°C and grease a medium round cake tin well with butter
  • ▴▴Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of sugar on top of the buttered base. Arrange pineapple rings around the base of the tin (I made a circle around the edge and then one in the middle)
  • ▴▴Put almonds/cherries in the middle of the pineapple rings and in any of the gaps.
  • ▴▴Put the flour, pineapple juice, coconut, baking powder, baking soda, butter, caster sugar and eggs into a medium bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined (you can use an electric beater if it’s easier.
  • Pour this mixture carefully over the pineapple rings. Tap the tin on the bench a few times so the mixture evens out.
  • ▴▴Bake for 30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted. While still hot put a plate upside down on top of the cake tin and flip over in one smooth motion.