Too Drunk For Democracy

VUWSA fails to hold Te Puni’s hair back.

VUWSA remains optimistic in its ability to fight for students’ right to party, despite poor attendance at a consultation meeting held for Te Puni Village residents hoping to challenge recent changes to their quiet hours.

As reported in last week’s Salient, many residents at the student accommodation complex are upset about a recent directive from Village management to change quiet hours to 10pm throughout the week. This change was made without prior consultation with residents, forcing students out of the building at 10pm instead of 11.30pm on Friday and Saturday nights if they wished to continue partying.

Following complaints from residents, VUWSA held a consultation session for students, with the aim of getting “a better deal” from Village management. Despite 81 listed as attending on the event’s Facebook page, only ten residents turned up to the meeting, held at 4.30pm on a Friday afternoon.

One student spoken to by Salient speculated that many residents would probably be too busy getting “drunk enough” to leave for town at 10pm, however VUWSA executive member Reed

Fleming identified a more serious reason for low attendance.

“Admittedly attendance was less than we had hoped for, however residents in attendance noted that a number of their peers were afraid of attending for fear of the response they would get from their RA or management for taking part,” said Fleming.

Following the meeting, an online survey was created to allow students to submit anonymously. When Salient went to print, VUWSA had received 87 responses, 76 per cent of which opposed the changes, and 84 per cent believed the level of consultation was inadequate. Of the 12 per cent of respondents who were in favour of the changes, many cited disruptions to sleep or study as their reasons for supporting the decision.

This information will be used by VUWSA as the basis of a submission to be presented to Te Puni Village’s management.

“VUWSA hopes to be able to discuss with management the submissions from residents and negotiate with them to find a desirable outcome for both parties.”

1