May 14, 2012 | by  |

Very Serious Business

Bring the Motherfucking Ruckus

In the latest chapter of Victoria University’s Kelburn stand-off, We Are the University (WATU) have accused Campus Operations of removing their posters from noticeboards around campus.

WATU were contacted early this month by a student who had seen a security guard taking down a WATU asset sales hikoi poster from a Cotton building noticeboard at 9.30pm. The student said he already had a number of the posters in his hand.

According to Campus Operations policy, students are able to put up posters on notice and poster-boards provided around campus.

When questioned by Salient, Associate Director of Campus Operations Rainsforth Dix said she was unaware of why the posters had been taken down.

“Yes we are aware of the allegations. We have looked into it, and there was no directive issued to remove any particular posters off noticeboards.”

A WATU representative told Salient that when approached, Campus Operations said that it was a night staff issue, however the WATU member spotted one of the hikoi posters stuck to the wall of the Campus Operations office.
The plot thickens…

Free Media at Peril! Salient censored!

Salient was subject to the strong arm of Facebook’s censorship law last week, following its use of the gender issue’s peen-tastic cover as a profile picture.

The magazine was informed on Tuesday that the picture had been removed because it violated the website’s content policy.

Under Facebook’s content policy relating to pornography, the website wishes to protect users’ right to share images, by allowing certain types of content.

“Whether those are photos of a sculpture like Michelangelo’s David or family photos of a child breastfeeding.”

Certain Salient staffers were surprised that the cover, which features a close up of male genitalia, was not considered analogous to David.

The profile picture has since been changed to focus on the less pornographic elements of the cover.

University Looks to Nuclear Warfare as an Answer to Tertiary Funding Woes

Victoria University recently shifted its coffers into the hands of a bank known for investing funds in nuclear weapons.

Victoria University’s charitable trust, the VUW Foundation, recently appointed the National Bank, owned by Australian ANZ Bank, to take care of the trust’s $14 million funds.

In a report released by the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN), ANZ was listed as one of a number of banks known to invest in nuclear weapons, either directly or through subsidiaries.

Also on the list was Westpac, who are responsible for the Government’s banking.

A list of all the other baddies can be found in the ‘Don’t Bank on the Bomb’ report at dontbankonthebomb.com

1. Tumuaki
  2. Ngā Rangahautira
  3. Ngā Taura Umanga
  4. Ngā Pou o Ngāi Tauira
  5. Te Hōhaieti o te reo Māori ki Wikitōria
  6. Te Kura Reo ki te Ūpoko o te Ika
  7. Pūrangiaho
  8. Ingoa Kārangaranga
  9. Yarn With Zwaan
  10. Te Ao Mārama

Most popular

1. The police are decriminalising weed in New Zealand 280 views
  2. Taking My Mother Along To See Pinky Fang 78 views
  3. Happy Birthday Lindsay Lohan—An Interview With Claire Harris 72 views
  4. Can the Hipster Survive in Wellington? 53 views
  5. Ingoa Kārangaranga 37 views
  6. The Discontinuation Method 29 views
  7. A gentleman always lets his lady cum first 25 views
  8. Beautiful Bodies 24 views
  9. Puffer Jackets 23 views
  10. The Bresolin Brothers 20 views
weed

The police are decriminalising weed in New Zealand

: Why have cannabis-related arrests halved while use has remained the same? There’s a simple answer: the Police are decriminalising cannabis in New Zealand