Vomfest at Weir

The question remains: who is poisoning their food?

A dodgy hostel meal resulted in at least five residents being struck down by food poisoning at Weir House last week. The offending chicken curry, described as “orangey in colour, also contained some unidentified vegetables [and] slightly spicy”, caused up to ten residents to be in “very, very poor form,” according to an anonymous tip-off via Twitter.

One resident said that those affected had been placed in “isolation” and had to have all their meals brought up to them. Another resident reported that those with “upset tummies” had to use the communal loos more often, with one student visiting the toilet up to four times in one day.

A residential advisor at Weir House claimed to have only found out about the incident by someone asking her if “she’d had a shitty day.” She was, however, fortunate enough to avoid contamination by having “not eaten the chicken.”

Curry makes a more than regular appearance on the Weir House menu, and the number of affected residents may have been increased by the fact that the meal was apparently “served for both lunch and dinner.”

All of the affected residents were expected to make a full recovery.

Tales of hostel meal disasters are not isolated to Weir. Salient spoke to a second-year student who regaled a night of culinary horror at Te Puni, an experience tragically common among first years…

“well, there was a new head chef and one night the pasta in the lasagne wasn’t cooked then the next night the two options were chicken and lamb, the chicken was served and it bled onto the rice it was being served with haha. it got recalled like half an hour into dinner and cooked again but the lamb was raw too. so everyone became vegos for the night hah..they then said to make up for it they would give us “treats” in study week. which i am pretty sure they were meant to do anyway. said treats would be like a gummy jet airplane in a bag ha (single one!).”