VUWSA Governance Under Review

In the past, they’ve been labelled inept muppets; some (read: Geoff Hayward and Clelia Opie) have even been held up as reluctant posterchilds for Voluntary Student Membership. But VUWSA would cease to exist without an executive of students at the helm.

The blood, sweat and tears—and, circa 2007, urine—they put into their roles goes largely unnoticed and unappreciated by the student body. And every year, the line-up changes in accordance with elections where voter turnout rarely exceeds 10 per cent.

The introduction of an association manager and extra paid support staff in the past decade has increasingly separated VUWSA’s internal management from its governance. This leaves more time for members of the executive to carry out their roles, as they were appointed to by the miniscule proportion of the student body that was motivated enough to vote. But who should be doing what?

This is one of the many questions VUWSA’s Governance Review is seeking to answer.

Last year VUWSA compiled a 2013 – 2015 Strategic Plan. It reaffirmed the purpose and goals of the association; to engage with both students and the University, advancing the interests of students as their representative body. All to ensure a quality education and outstanding student experience at Victoria. In light of this, the Review is seeking to find if the current structure—last reviewed 23 years ago—is still relevant to students today.

A ‘Green Paper’ just released gives a comprehensive (read: 18 page) explanation of VUWSA’s current state, as well as questioning most aspects. Though a 3-page summary is also available for those less captivated by the SUB’s inner bureaucracies.

Whether you loathe or love VUWSA— make your thoughts known, it’s your students’ association and they exist to do what you tell them.

Following submissions—which can be made online or in person at one of the many forums— a Working Party, comprised of current and former executives and some students, will produce a series of recommendations that will again go out to consultation. Any proposed changes will be put to students for final approval at the Annual General Meeting in August.

For more information on the Review, and how to get involved see vuwsa.org.nz.

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan