VUWSA Women’s Officer

This week brings us to Salient’s 2012 gender issue, in my opinion the most interesting issue of the year as there is so much one could write, debate, share, argue, learn or understand for the first time about gender.

Something I hope you understand – and not for the first time – is that in regards to gender, not all is peachy. It never has been, and sadly in our lifetime it probably won’t be. I’m not going to use this column space to inundate you with statistics about glass ceilings and spectrums to illustrate why that is; I’m guessing that after at least eight weeks at university, you already have some idea.

I do not mean to suggest that we shouldn’t try to improve things; we absolutely should. An institution that has this challenge enshrined at its core is VUWSA. Belonging to a student’s association that honors CEDAW in its constitution, supports its women’s officers like myself to carry out safety audits (be sure to fill out the survey on www.vuwsa.org.nz or on our Facebook page), hold fundraisers and awareness campaigns for the Wellington Rape Crisis centre and argue tirelessly about pay gaps is something I am truly thankful for. VUWSA has always been, and this year continues to be, a progressive institution committed to advancing the interests of all students—irrespective of gender.

I’d like to end by observing that what VUWSA and the ongoing struggle for women’s rights have in common is that both ought not be bound not by a political agenda, but rather individuals. People, myself included, need to see some changes in our world and will continue to work for those changes, for the very simple reason that we need them. Little steps and valiant strides are equally valuable so if you’d like to aid the interests of women at Victoria, engage with VUWSA, join a club that supports human rights, forge healthy relationships with your friends and lovers, do not belittle the opinions of others when you’re debating in tutorials. Remember that every person has struggles and that VUWSA recognizes that. I urge each and every one of you reading this to support VUWSA, and allow VUWSA to support you.

1