June 5, 2012 | by  | in News |

Feminist Pageant Invades

Old boys’ club under threat

Parliament was lucky enough to be graced  by the presence of a swag of fine young ladies last week, when the contestants for Feminist of the Year attended Wednesday’s question time.

Their presence was part of a protest organised by Green MP Jan Logie in response to National MP Maurice Williamson’s ‘acknowledgment’ of Miss New Zealand contestants in the gallery on Tuesday.

“I have been fortunate in the last hour to have been in my office with the Miss Universe New Zealand contestants. They are in the gallery, and I think this House would like to acknowledge them being here today,” said Williamson.

Logie and the Wellington Young Feminists’ Collective organised ‘Feminist of the Year’ in as a critical response to Williamson’s point of order, which was labelled “creepy” and misogynistic.

Around 20 feminists gathered in the public gallery to witness Logie’s poitn fo order, which was followed by a standing ovation from all of the opposition side of the House.

“I have been fortunate in the last hour to be in my office with the feminists of the year contestants. They are in the gallery, and I think this House would like the opportunity today to acknowledge them.”

1. Wellington
  2. “Bet the next Salient is going to milk this dry”
  3. How to Find Love in Wellington
  4. On Violence
  5. Salient’s New Zealander of the Year
  6. The Jet Plane, the Typewriter and the Art Dealer
  7. We Drank With Grant Robertson So You Wouldn’t Have To
  8. Wellington’s Coffee Scene: Low Budgement Day
  9. The Cocktail Diaries
  10. We’re really sorry that the last week of news is so depressing
Kowloon

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.