June 5, 2012 | by  | in News |

Feminist Pageant Invades

Old boys’ club under threat

Parliament was lucky enough to be graced  by the presence of a swag of fine young ladies last week, when the contestants for Feminist of the Year attended Wednesday’s question time.

Their presence was part of a protest organised by Green MP Jan Logie in response to National MP Maurice Williamson’s ‘acknowledgment’ of Miss New Zealand contestants in the gallery on Tuesday.

“I have been fortunate in the last hour to have been in my office with the Miss Universe New Zealand contestants. They are in the gallery, and I think this House would like to acknowledge them being here today,” said Williamson.

Logie and the Wellington Young Feminists’ Collective organised ‘Feminist of the Year’ in as a critical response to Williamson’s point of order, which was labelled “creepy” and misogynistic.

Around 20 feminists gathered in the public gallery to witness Logie’s poitn fo order, which was followed by a standing ovation from all of the opposition side of the House.

“I have been fortunate in the last hour to be in my office with the feminists of the year contestants. They are in the gallery, and I think this House would like the opportunity today to acknowledge them.”

1. Access Denied – Invisible City
  2. Tapu and Noa
  3. It’s not you, it’s Hookup Culture
  5. Touching on Taboo
  6. WOMAD
  7. National Urges Govt to be More Ambitious with Child Poverty Legislation
  8. Doin’ it for the Retweets: NZ Police’s Rainbow Car
  10. Sexual Violence Court Pilot