June 5, 2012 | by  |

News On The March

The world this week

– In the latest of a litany of campaign successes, Mitt Romney’s media team succeeds in failing to accurately spell the name of their own continent in a new iPhone app to promote the Romney campaign. Praise ‘Amercia’!

– Like a merciless case of gangrene, Europe’s festering debt wound spreads from Greece to Spain, sparking fears that any necessary bailout of Europe’s fourth largest economy might send the Eurozone to the grave. Greece remains unrepentant.

– In an attempt to bring peace to Syria, the UN sends in global diplomatic fix-it man, ex UN Secretary General, Kofi Annan. The brazen move follows Russia’s solitary stubbornness in refusing to support unequivocal condemnation of Assad’s regime, and the unavailability of Bruce Willis.

– In the latest of a series of existential threats to humankind, scientists discover that super-volcanoes–the kind that can wipe out human civilisation–can form in only hundreds of years, rather than for the previously understood 200 000 years. Drunk conversationalists worldwide hold that death by lava is probably cooler than death by global warming.

– It’s party time in Samoa as the modest Pacific nation celebrates its 50th anniversary of independence. Celebrations look to be sizeable, with a concert by British faux-reggae group UB40 planned for the capital Apia.

– In Waimate, the Employment Relations Authority rules that the cannabis-munching truck driver who crashed his truck into a tree while gorging himself was fairly dismissed. The driver claims that the cannabis was consumed for medical purposes.

1. Salient seeks new contributors
  2. Web designer needed
  3. San Cisco—Gracetown
  4. Shovel Knight
  5. NZUSA rides the alimony pony
  6. [Theme not found]
  7. Pink Passion Pop
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less
  9. 80 Years of Penguin
  10. Up and Adam

Most popular

1. Salient seeks new contributors 100 views
  2. The Übermensch 40 views
  3. NZUSA rides the alimony pony 21 views
  4. I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree 19 views
  5. Can the Hipster Survive in Wellington? 17 views
  6. The Bresolin Brothers 15 views
  7. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less 14 views
  8. Twitterviews 12 views
  9. Holy Fuck! Vic Uni Ruled by White Males 10 views
  10. The Sedulous Recorder 10 views
grad

I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree

by

For students all across the world, years of study culminate in a perfunctory ritual known as “graduation”. After three years of napping at Victoria’s Te Aro campus, it was my turn to partake in the tradition.

Read more