June 5, 2012 | by  |

VUWSA Ruins Lunch

This is why we can’t have nice things

VUWSA disrupted over one hundred students last Wednesday when it held its by-election candidates’ forum during the lunchtime rush at the Hunter Lounge. Fortunately, as there were no questions, and a poor showing of candidates, the interruption only lasted 15 minutes.

Both candidates for Welfare Vice-President were present. Student, and mother, Novyl Saeed Kureshi said she would bring that touch to the role. Rory McCourt‒who has been acting Vice-President (Welfare) since Ta’ase Vaoga resigned in April‒apologised to the apathetic crowd students trying to drink $3.50 handles of Castlepoint, and spoke of his achievements while filling in the position.

Only two or the four candidates for the International Students’ Officer position came to speak at the forum. In a change from recent years, both candidates Ade Lola Bamgbose and Vaishna Santhar, spoke of wanting to make more of an effort in bringing the different cultures international students into the wider Victoria community.

President Bridie Hood thought this was a positive thing. “In the past we had quite an active International Students’ Council, but it hasn’t been very active in the last couple of years,” she said.

“International students face different barriers and challenges to domestic students, and VUWSA should be supporting ways in breaking down those barriers.”

Advertising for both the event and by-election has been almost non-existent. One executive member insider said they didn’t even know about the forum until the day before.

Voting closes at 4pm on Friday. Candidates’ bios and details on how to partake in student democracy can be found on page 26.

1. Salient seeks new contributors
  2. Web designer needed
  3. San Cisco—Gracetown
  4. Shovel Knight
  5. NZUSA rides the alimony pony
  6. [Theme not found]
  7. Pink Passion Pop
  8. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less
  9. 80 Years of Penguin
  10. Up and Adam

Most popular

1. The Übermensch 50 views
  2. I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree 32 views
  3. NZUSA rides the alimony pony 25 views
  4. The Bresolin Brothers 24 views
  5. Can the Hipster Survive in Wellington? 23 views
  6. Holy Fuck! Vic Uni Ruled by White Males 16 views
  7. A gentleman always lets his lady cum first 15 views
  8. Shovel Knight 15 views
  9. Wellington’s Best Bookstores 13 views
  10. Everything wrong with the Moan Zone in 400 words or less 9 views
grad

I Went to Graduation and All I Got Was This Lousy Degree

by

For students all across the world, years of study culminate in a perfunctory ritual known as “graduation”. After three years of napping at Victoria’s Te Aro campus, it was my turn to partake in the tradition.

Read more