June 5, 2012 | by  | in Opinion |

VUWSA Vice-President (Academic)

I Am On The VUWSA Executive and that makes me irrefutably cool

The week before last, I sat in a meeting of the University’s Academic Committee drinking tea and enjoying an array of cakes. Cup- shaped ones right through to fruit-flavoured ones; all were suitably moist. In case you’re wondering (of course you are) the answer is yes, the morning teas of bureaucrats are always delicious.

At Academic Committee, we VUWSA reps sit on thrones. Plastic, office-chair thrones, cushioned with the down of Pegasus wings, decorated with the jewellery from lost property, and adorned with the magical power of representation. Only one of those descriptors is true.

Sometimes, as I sit resplendent in my Academic Committee throne, eating luscious cake treats, I deign to cast an eye downwards to do my actual job. As you probably know—I harp on about it every chance I get in this column—we here at VUWSA are all about representation.

In a shocking move, I’m going to talk about representation again. Something particularly close to my heart, this time (I have vested interests, can you tell?) Time for the self-indulgent wank-fest to end and the straight-up VUWSA shit to begin. Abort now if you hate democracy and/or thug lyfe.

The Political Science and International Relations programme is about to go under review. University statutes give that every programme run by the University must be reviewed at least once every seven years. I heard a rumour from Stuart McCutcheon that each intervening year is dedicated to one of the Seven Pillars of the House of Wisdom (Proverbs 9:1).

That was a joke.

As per, we’re getting all up in the University’s grill. In a nice way. We’ve put a survey up for you gracious scholars of Political Science and International Relations, in which you can tell us exactly what you think about your course of study. Rather than hamfistedly typing in a link to the survey, I’m just going to espouse the virtues of our cool-as-shit social media feeds.

Honestly, though, it’s going to be all over our Facebook and Twitter feeds like a hopefully-contagious rash. Check up on those (or vuwsa.org’s ‘Out For Consultation’ page) if you’re looking to be linked.

As the Chinese Communist Party would say: ‘wei renmin fuwu’. SERVE THE PEOPLE.

Transcendentally cool.

Yours in servitude, comrade. Josh Wright

PS: In no way am I drawing comparisons between VUWSA and the CCP.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos