Bent: Pride Week

Queerdoes, gaywads, gender-benders, homos and heteros, may I have your attention… ZOMFG, you guys! It’s Pride Week! We’ve worked really hard to bring you our most jam- packed festival yet, so make sure you check it out.

Also, we hope you’re enjoying your Queerlient issue. As always, Jonathan Goode and myself thoroughly enjoyed subediting the excellent, community sourced content that’s been squished into this week’s Salient.

As for Queer Officer stuff, Queer Mentoring is going swimmingly. I am pleased to report that a record number of young gay, trans* and questioning youth have used this service and that two great Head Mentors have been elected—Tasmin Pritchard and Jett Ranchhod.

Safer Spaces Sessions are starting soon! Sign up for a session at queer.officer@vuw.ac.nz. This LGBT education programme aims to raise awareness about topics and problems relating to queer youth. It encourages its participants to reflect their support of queer students by displaying a safer space sticker in their area of work or study, thus creating a visual network of acceptance around campus. I’m also really excited about allowing this project to be ‘created’ by its participants by continually incorporating the stories and knowledge of those who participate into the manual. After all, no single person or group can possibly define what is conclusively and absolutely a ‘safe space’ for everyone.

Next up, Queering Our Campuses is a program that aims to extend the UniQ’s sense of community to all campuses through the election of Campus Delegates who’ll get to run little baby UniQs on Aro, Pipitea and Karori campuses. They’re being elected in trimester two, week four at the AGM, so come along if you think you’ve got the chops.

The UniSex Bathroom Campus Map will show students where the UniSex Bathrooms are, aiming to make life on campus a little easier for students that may not fit neatly within a gender binary. These maps will be uploaded to the website soon. Thanks to Campus Service for their support.

Finally, last trimester I dove right out of my comfort zone and made UniQ a website. Uniqvictoria.co.nz serves as a communication platform for the group and as a great way of advertising the excellent and multifaceted work of the UniQ Exec. I was privileged enough to be able to work with some very talented, creative people on this project; web designer Matthew Taine and artist Yvette Velvin.

So, I’ve had heaps of fun, and continue to be inspired and passionate about my work with VUWSA, UniQ and the gay community at large. Bring on trimester two, week four, baby.

1. In NZ.
  2. The Party Line ~ Issue 04
  3. Mental Health Wānanga Celebrates Work, Looks to the Future
  4. Sustainability on Salamanca: VUW working on environmental impact
  5. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  6. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  7. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  8. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  9. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  10. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands

In NZ.

: When my mother gave me my name, it was a name she couldn’t pronounce. The harsh accents of the Arabic language eluded the Pākehā tongue. Growing up, I always felt more comfortable introducing myself as she knew me—Mah-dee or Ma-ha-dee—just about anything that made me feel