Campus De-hubbed

KELBURN BOMBSITE ACTUALLY JUST CONSTRUCTION SITE

Kelburn students will only have to grin and bear noisy construction on campus until February 2013, a university official has confirmed.

However in the meantime construction continues to cause irritation among students, in particular the closure of the walkway next to Old Kirk, which will remain closed until October.

One student Salient spoke to said, “I was confused for a while, but now I’m just annoyed. I’ve got to walk all the way through Kirk now to get to the Student Union Building.”

Victoria’s Director of Campus Services Jenny Bentley says the Campus Hub project is on track and on budget to open next year.

“The new building will provide a heart to the Kelburn campus,” Bentley says.

“It will facilitate easy access across the campus between all of the adjoining buildings, as well as seating areas, breakout spaces, meeting rooms, and a student common room.”

The Kelburn Library is also still in the process of being refurbished, although it remains in continual operation.

The construction will take 18 to 20 weeks and earplugs are available for students at the Library issue desk.

“There will also be some work on the Maclaurin and Easterfield buildings to build new interfaces at the edges of the Hub building,” says Bentley.

External landscaping works will be starting soon to re-landscape the area between the Adam Art Gallery, the Student Union Building, Milk & Honey and the area that will run all the way up to the central Hub building.

1. Newsthub: No need to kill cats Mittens, owners should be responsible – Wellington Mayor Justin Lester
  2. Where Does Your Student Services Levy Go?
  4. Simran Rughani Resigns from VUWSA
  5. Score Steamed Hams with Seymour for Society Soirée
  6. VUWSA Launches Student Mental Health Campaign
  7. Tragicomic Webseries
  8. Issue 18, Vol 81: Under the Surface