July 31, 2012 | by  | in Arts Film |

NZFF Review – The Law In These Parts

Dir: Alexandrowicz

As a precis of the problems with the legal system governing occupied Palestine, Ra’anan Alexandrowicz’s documentary is effective; as a call to arms against an unjust system, it’s emotive and persuasive. Alexandrowicz doesn’t really give his subjects, former military judges, supreme court justices and prosecutors all, a lot of room to breathe – his editing is intrusive and his unabashed acknowledgment of his layman’s position means that he shoots for breadth rather than depth, prodding his subjects on things that are emotionally compelling but don’t necessarily speak to the flaws in the institution they have the most knowledge of—the judiciary (which seems to Alexandrowicz’s primary focus). However, what he does include is compelling and at times incendiary—the ludicrously archaic concept of ‘Mawat Land’ gets a lot of time (and Alexander Ramati’s cagey response on whether he thinks suggesting it to Sharon was ‘the right thing to do’ is troubling), and Jonathan Livny’s point-blank admission that he knew about GSS officers torturing Palestinians under administrative arrest (contradicting a government report on the issue) is twice as effective for Livny’s visible anger and sadness at being asked. It’s an interesting documentary, but it could do a lot more.

The Verdict: B

1. Turns out there wasn’t a bomb LOL
  2. IDF soldiers speak on campus
  3. Why I voted for fee rises
  4. Fuck the Establishment
  5. Facebook upset over fee rises
  6. Hack Like Nobody’s Watching
  7. The Ian Curtis Memorial Wall, Wallace Street: An Investigation
  8. Why I Hate Baby Boomers
  9. Foibles of a Foxton Forger
  10. Coppers Become Croppers

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.