NZUSA Deceives Its Own

NZUSA has “reaffirmed” its stance in support of the Keep Our Assets referendum, claiming that supporting a referendum explicitly seeking a specific policy change does not amount to supporting said policy change.

Confusion arose when NZUSA Vice-President, Arena Williams
told Salient that member students’ association presidents had been consulted on NZUSA’s support for the campaign. However VUWSA President Bridie Hood, among others claimed the contrary, saying that the first they’d heard of NZUSA’s involvement was after receiving an invitation to the campaign launch days prior.

Salient again spoke to Williams, who now says the “miscommunication problem that occurred” was an issue with NZUSA’s policy process.

“Part of the policy process that we decided at the beginning of the year was that we were going to have informal discussions, and that we weren’t really going to have formal motions,” Williams said.

“We’ve now learnt our lesson, because obviously it wasn’t clear enough to Bridie and [MAWSA President Ben Thorpe] and the other people in the room that we were having a discussion about a policy point.”

1. Wellington
  2. “Bet the next Salient is going to milk this dry”
  3. How to Find Love in Wellington
  4. On Violence
  5. Salient’s New Zealander of the Year
  6. The Jet Plane, the Typewriter and the Art Dealer
  7. We Drank With Grant Robertson So You Wouldn’t Have To
  8. Wellington’s Coffee Scene: Low Budgement Day
  9. The Cocktail Diaries
  10. We’re really sorry that the last week of news is so depressing

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.