Partisan Hacks

Salient asked, “John Key recently admitted that banning smoking would be ‘tremendously difficult.’ Is this the case and should government be seeking a smoke-free New Zealand?” The Hacks respond…

Act on Campus – Michael Warren

The Government should not make New Zealand smoke-free. People have a right to smoke and are responsible for the health and financial consequences associated with it. The idea of declaring a country smoke-free is laughable, as prohibition only drives illicit substances into the hands of gangs and criminals.

vic labour – Reed Fleming

Yes, a smoke-free New Zealand would be a better New Zealand, both for the health of smokers and non-smokers as well as reducing the massive cost on our health system caused by tobacco use. By providing adequate health services and other support those struggling to quit the habit, a smoke free New Zealand is not only desireable but also achievable.

Greens @ Vic – Harriet Farquhar

Around 5000 New Zealanders die every year due to smoking and second-hand smoke, and half of long-term smokers die of a related illness. Given these sorts of statistics, we have a responsibility to move towards making New Zealand smoke-free. This does not mean ‘banning’ smoking, but instead is about making cigarettes less accessible and limiting people’s ability to smoke in public spaces. We need to de-normalise smoking, and support people to give it up.

Vic Nats – CHristian Hermansen

The National Government, with strong support from the Maori Party, is increasing the excise tax by 10 per cent a year from 1 January in each of the next four years as part of a wider government programme to prevent young people from taking up smoking and encourage existing smokers to quit – a move which the VicNats support. The VicNats believe this is vital to investing in the health and wellbeing of future generations.

NZ first

Unfortunately, NZ First did not respond to Salient’s quite reasonable query this week. Shame, that.