Pyjama Party Bombs

Stay-at-home students ruin re-Oweek jaunt

The Pyjama Party hosted last week at the Hunter Lounge as part of re-orientation saw only around 20 people in attendance.

One student told Salient that she opted to attend a party held at Weir House instead.

“There was one room with, like nearly 20 people in it,” she said of the unofficial re- orientation gathering.

VUWSA President Bridie Hood said it was “really unfortunate” that students did not want to attend the event.

She cited the success of O Week’s Toga Party and feedback received from students through surveys and social media as VUWSA’s reasons for believing the event would be more popular than it was.

“Maybe people just didn’t like the pyjama idea.”

“[VUWSA] might instead have to look at planning a bigger event the end of the year,” Hood said when asked about the future of re-orientation at Victoria.

Organizer Kevin McKernon expressed frustration that students were hard to predict.

The apparent lack of enthusiasm was not particular to Victoria.

Ticket sales to events during Otago’s re- orientation were also lower than expected, with headliner Ladyhawke selling only 250 of 800 tickets.

“You’ve got to wonder if it’s worth OUSA’s time to put on a week like this, and it would seem, lose a lot of money, when their members can’t be fucked coming along,” Critic Editor Joe Stockman said.

While the Pyjama Party was not subsidised by VUWSA, it carried the Association’s endorcement, leading to concerns as to the organisation’s ability to deliver an “outstanding student experience”, one of its stated strategic goals.

8. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  9. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy
  10. Astral Rejection