Student Forum To Meet

New VUWSA pisses off old VUWSA

The Student Forum will be meeting for the first time on Tuesday.

While the forum officially consists of VUWSA representatives, faculty delegates chosen from class representatives as well as representatives for Maori, Pasifika, international and graduate student groups, any student may attend the meetings.

The forum is to meet at least twice a semester, and while the University does not sit on the forum, they receive will minutes following meetings. The first meeting will discuss the use of the student services levy.

Victoria created the student forum after it felt it could no longer recognise VUWSA as a universal association following the introduction of voluntary student membership.

The forum was labelled the primary student representative body without the consultation of students. While the University later attributed their use of the word ‘primary’ across several documents as a typographical error, the current student forum handbook still refers to the forum as Victoria’s “primary student engagement body.”

“We do not understand the need for it,” VUWSA President Bridie Hood said. Many of the issues that will be raised in the student forum are already discussed in other committees on which both the university and VUWSA sit, she explained.

The student forum will be reviewed at the end of the year.

The meeting will be held on Tuesday 24 July from 5pm to 7pm in AM101. 

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan