Student Services Levy

The University is currently surveying students on the Student Services Levy, a compulsory fee which is used to pay for non academic services. The online survey closes on July 31.

The Ministry of Tertiary Education made it compulsory for universities to consult students on any changes to the levy after significant increases nation wide. Victoria University’s levy increased by 93 per cent between 2009 and 2010. At the same time, the Ministry provided a list of categories on which the levy could be spent.

In 2012 the levy for any students studying more than one paper on campus was $650 and the total levy collected was just over $10.5m. However, the University has forecast that the levy will have to increase by at least 4 per cent as the cost of providing services increases.

Former VUWSA President and current University Council Student Representative, Max Hardy voiced concern at the Student Forum meeting that there are no incentives for the University to keep costs down because it’s essentially a “free pot of money”.

While over the last few years the University has been making more of an effort to consult with students on the levy, few details on the allocation of money are available.

1. Danielle says:

Thank you for posting this.

1. Wellington
  2. “Bet the next Salient is going to milk this dry”
  3. How to Find Love in Wellington
  4. On Violence
  5. Salient’s New Zealander of the Year
  6. The Jet Plane, the Typewriter and the Art Dealer
  7. We Drank With Grant Robertson So You Wouldn’t Have To
  8. Wellington’s Coffee Scene: Low Budgement Day
  9. The Cocktail Diaries
  10. We’re really sorry that the last week of news is so depressing

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.