A Hall Is Born

Hasn’t anyone seen Hostel Part II?

A new fully catered hall of residence for Victoria University is due to open in 2013. A 14-storey office block on Boulcott Street which has been vacant since last year, will be converted into the 180-bed hostel.

In 2011, there were a total 2600 beds available in Victoria’s halls of residences, for which there were over 4800 applications.

“Students… are looking for quality accommodation,” said Vice-Chancellor
Pat Walsh, “with the introduction of Joan Stevens Hall on the Terrace last year, the recent development of Te Puni Village, and now this new complex, we are ensuring we continue to meet this need.”

The building will receive a “major facelift” says McKee Fehl Constructors managing director Maurice Clark. He ran a similar project last year when Randstad House on The Terrace was converted into Joan Stevens Hall.

The hall will be run in much the same manner as other halls, and Victoria will be leasing the building as it does with several hostels, including Joan Stevens, Director of Campus Services Jenny Bentley said.

1. Turns out there wasn’t a bomb LOL
  2. IDF soldiers speak on campus
  3. Why I voted for fee rises
  4. Fuck the Establishment
  5. Facebook upset over fee rises
  6. Hack Like Nobody’s Watching
  7. The Ian Curtis Memorial Wall, Wallace Street: An Investigation
  8. Why I Hate Baby Boomers
  9. Foibles of a Foxton Forger
  10. Coppers Become Croppers

In the Shadow of the Kowloon Walled City

: At its peak, the Kowloon Walled City was home to 33,000 people in just two hectares of land—a hastily put together conglomerate of tiny apartments, one of top of the other, caged balconies slapped onto the sides and connected through a labyrinth of damp, dark corridors.