A Hall Is Born

Hasn’t anyone seen Hostel Part II?

A new fully catered hall of residence for Victoria University is due to open in 2013. A 14-storey office block on Boulcott Street which has been vacant since last year, will be converted into the 180-bed hostel.

In 2011, there were a total 2600 beds available in Victoria’s halls of residences, for which there were over 4800 applications.

“Students… are looking for quality accommodation,” said Vice-Chancellor
Pat Walsh, “with the introduction of Joan Stevens Hall on the Terrace last year, the recent development of Te Puni Village, and now this new complex, we are ensuring we continue to meet this need.”

The building will receive a “major facelift” says McKee Fehl Constructors managing director Maurice Clark. He ran a similar project last year when Randstad House on The Terrace was converted into Joan Stevens Hall.

The hall will be run in much the same manner as other halls, and Victoria will be leasing the building as it does with several hostels, including Joan Stevens, Director of Campus Services Jenny Bentley said.

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con