A Hall Is Born

Hasn’t anyone seen Hostel Part II?

A new fully catered hall of residence for Victoria University is due to open in 2013. A 14-storey office block on Boulcott Street which has been vacant since last year, will be converted into the 180-bed hostel.

In 2011, there were a total 2600 beds available in Victoria’s halls of residences, for which there were over 4800 applications.

“Students… are looking for quality accommodation,” said Vice-Chancellor
Pat Walsh, “with the introduction of Joan Stevens Hall on the Terrace last year, the recent development of Te Puni Village, and now this new complex, we are ensuring we continue to meet this need.”

The building will receive a “major facelift” says McKee Fehl Constructors managing director Maurice Clark. He ran a similar project last year when Randstad House on The Terrace was converted into Joan Stevens Hall.

The hall will be run in much the same manner as other halls, and Victoria will be leasing the building as it does with several hostels, including Joan Stevens, Director of Campus Services Jenny Bentley said.

1. Am I my skin?
  2. The Trauma of the Non-Voter
  3. Marshall Islands deliberate whether to ban nuclear weapons
  4. Vanity Fair — W. M. Thackeray
  5. Her Legacy
  6. GIG GUIDE
  7. The Fury of [our] own Momentum: Twin Peaks, Protest, and the Bomb
  10. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
brigid

I’m Not Sure How I Feel: Disillusionment With Elections

: - SPONSORED - This post-election sentiment was written prior to the election, due to both the limitations of print and the pervasiveness of this disillusionment beyond the election’s outcome. If there was a revolution over the weekend, some of these thoughts can be disregarded.