Bedtime At Te Puni

MANAGEMENT PLAYS DUMB OVER QUIET HOURS

VUWSA has submitted several recommendations to Te Puni Village management after it failed to respond to students’ concerns over changes to the hall’s quiet hours.

However by the time Salient went to print Te Puni Village had still not acknowledged the recommendations, which they received in early August.

Students were invited by VUWSA to attend a meeting about the changes in May, while only ten people were present, it was reported many residents feared being chastised by

the hostel if they attended. A Facebook poll listed 76 of 84 respondents as opposing the changes.

“These students were concerned about the impact of these rule changes on their social calendars, but more importantly disappointed with the level of consultation engaged in by the Village,” author of the recommendations and Clubs Officer Reed Fleming said in his letter to Te Puni.

In May, quiet hours were altered to begin at 10pm instead of 11:30pm, forcing students to leave the hostel earlier on Friday and Saturday nights.

VUWSA recommended that Te Puni Village reverse the changes, acknowledge that it did not adequately consult students, and “widen the scope” for student representation through its residents’ association.

“It was unfortunate that Te Puni Village did not engage with us as we consulted with residents who both opposed and supported the changes,” Fleming said.