Nothin’ But Net

Great Olympics, too bad about australia though

My sleep schedule has finally returned to normal.

Yet as the Olympics finally wound down, I couldn’t help but feel a great deal of sadness. Maybe that was just from watching the Spice Girls.

Highlights for many of us included the usual suspects of the Bond and Murray Domination Show or Mahe Drysdale finally winning after Beijing.

Depending on your side of the fence, you probably had a smug grin at some stage while we were ahead of Australia on the medal tally. “Silver Coast” was a witty call, it really was.

It was also reasonably humorous when an Australian channel refused to show New Zealand in the top ten of the medal tally. That said, Sky did something similar when Australia made the top ten so that ghetto does have two gangs.

Balance was eventually restored, but the gold tallies were fairly similar once the (five) fat ladies sung. I’ll probably be lambasted as crazy for this, but I think New Zealand and Australia will be reasonably close in this regard for some years.

When ‘Straya hosted the Olympics back in 2000 (something they’re still paying off, if you were wondering), they did what every other country does when they host a Games: bring in a crop of young athletes to show the world how awesome you are. Yes, it’s basically a country’s version of a dick-measuring contest.

Some say a country wins the most medals in the Olympics after the one they host, and there could be something in that. Think of the athletes Australia brought up, the coaches they hired, and the high expectations placed on their athletes. All of that stuff will carry over into the next tournament.

Shortly after 2000, Australia were sporting world-beaters. But that Sydney bubble has since burst and the coaches have gone overseas. Swimming competition from the Yanks and Chinese has intensified and the Brits have reclaimed cycling.

Essentially, they overachieved for the last 12 years.

They still did superbly in London, but NZ have done well to focus resources on events like rowing. Look at what three golds will do.

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this