Partisan Hacks

Salient asked, “Are race-relations improving in New Zealand?” The Hacks respond…

ACT On Campus – Michael Warren

It is difficult to judge whether race relations are improving or not. High rates of intermarriage and acceptance of cultural diversity illustrate New Zealand’s relatively low levels of racial discrimination. However, it is important to remember that misguided Government programmes which try to end racism can inadvertently cause it.

Vic Labour – Reed Fleming

The current debate around water rights has reminded us that National has not moved on from the divisive days of Don Brash, using race-baiting to pit kiwis against each other. The Waitangi Tribunal’s recommendations should be respected, not laughed at. Aotearoa has led the way on race relations in the past, and we need a strong Labour-led government to lead again.

Greens @ Vic – Harriet Farquar

There is much progress for New Zealand to make in terms of race relations. Perhaps most important to recognise, is that minority ethnic groups are disproportionately represented in New Zealand’s poor social statistics. Therefore we need to be focussing on alleviating New Zealand’s social and economic priorities. There is also much to do in ensuring that we have an Aotearoa in which Te Tiriti o Waitangi is accepted and celebrated as a founding document.

Vic Nats – Christian Hermansen

The VicNats believe that race relations in New Zealand are continuing to improve with greater understanding and respect of the multitude of cultures which make up New Zealand. The National Government itself is made up of MPs from diverse backgrounds, such as Maori, Pacific Island, Chinese, Korean, Sikh Indian and Cook Islands, ensuring that government policy has representation from a wide range of cultural backgrounds. It is our responsibility as young New Zealanders to embrace other cultures, new migrants, and ensure that we make this an even more tolerant nation than the one we inherited from our tupuna.

NZ First

Unfortunately, NZ First Youth did not respond to Salient’s quite reasonable query this week. Shame, that.