Presidential Address

Vuwsa Annual General Meeting

So the time has finally come! After several columns of me raving about the Annual General Meeting and the Governance Review, this week members will have the opportunity to vote on the recommendations of the VUWSA Governance Review. And you will then all be saved from my tedious, while incredibly important, Governance Review Presidential columns! EVERYONE WINS!

General Meetings are an incredibly important part of our democratic structure here at VUWSA. Constitutionally we have to hold a General Meeting once in Trimester One, and then again in Trimester Two. These meetings are a chance to let you know what we have been doing so far this year and are an important opportunity for you to ask the Executive any questions about their work this year.

At the AGM, alongside moving the recommendations of the VUWSA Governance Review and an amended constitution (reflecting the changes of the Governance Review) we will also be putting forward our Half Year Report and Statement of Accounts. The Report includes all Executive members’ half year reports and provides specific detail about the work they have done over the last several months to achieve VUWSA’s Constitutional Goals.

After these agenda items have been discussed there will also be an opportunity to discuss any general business. At our AGM last year during the general business section, a motion was moved from the floor, and passed, that VUWSA actively support the Legalise Love campaign.

And, of course in true VUWSA spirit there will be a free pizza lunch following the meeting.

VUWSA General Elections

But don’t think the fun stops after the AGM! The day following the AGM nominations for the 2013 VUWSA Executive will open, with voting taking place in mid-September.

University is more than just attending classes and writing essays, so if you want to get a bit more out of your University experience, and help students while you do it you should consider running for the VUWSA Executive.

While we need to wait for the outcome of the AGM to be certain about what positions will be available to run for, there are lots of different areas of VUWSA you can get involved in—be it education, welfare, equity, clubs or activities.

Or if running for the Executive is something you are considering, but you’re not 100 per cent sure about it, give one of the current Executive members an email and ask for a quick catch up to discuss running for the Executive. While job descriptions are good for getting a general idea of what a certain position entails, it always helps to talk to someone who has been in the position before.

Nominations open this Thursday and close at 4.30pm on Friday 14 September. So if you’re not quite sure if you want to run or not, you’ve got plenty to time to decide!

That’s all from me this week! We’ve got a lot of exciting things planned for the remainder of the year. Women’s Officer Sara has been working hard to organise an awesome Women’s Fest, Welfare Vice President Rory is bringing back Students’ As Workers Week and we’re looking at working with Student Services on campus to run a bigger and better Stress Free Study Week.

Hope to see you all the AGM! Don’t forget for the magic to happen we are going to need at least 100 members attending the meeting. The meeting will be held a 1pm, this Wednesday in SU217 & 218.

10. International Queer in Review