August 13, 2012 | by  | in Arts Books |

Review – Nga Waituhi O Rehu: Katerina te Mataira

This science fantasy novel in te reo Māori follows four teenagers living on Rēhua, a planet settled after Earth is destroyed by ecological disasters and global war.

A science fantasy novel entirely in te reo Māori accompanied by a DVD featuring Katerina Mataira as the narrator. This is an AWESOME book, and beautifully written. The the first science fantasy novel I know of, that’s written in te reo Māori.

Katerina Mataira is a much published and much loved children’s author who has won many awards for her writing, including the prestigious Pounamu Award. Although aimed at young teenage readers, this is the book to read. It is definitely worth buying, if you can’t find it at the library (which might save you fines), and pass it around the whānau to enjoy.

Katerina Te Heikōkō Mataira was a teacher, an artist and at the forefront of Māori language revival. She was a foundation member of the Māori Language Commission, awarded an honorary doctorate in 1996, and made a Dame Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit in 2011. She published several award-winning picture books in te reo Māori and her novels Te Atea, Makorea and Rēhua in te reo Māori were ground-breaking works.