Sporting Variation Of The Week

Drunk Olympics

What if we made every competitor in the Olympics drink until they were three times over the legal limit for driving? I don’t know about breaking world records, but it would certainly make for one hell of an interesting watch. Imagine the hilarity of watching a group of finely tuned athletes storming through the 110m hurdles while unable to coordinate a jump or even run in a straight line? The gymnastics arena alone boasts a goldmine of potential booze-induced hilarity. Some events would undoubtedly need specific applications of the drunk rule, such as equestrian requiring inebriated horses. Canoeing and ever-tedious swimming might even be made interesting by the introduction of liquor, with the constant possibility of a competitor drowning a definite drawcard. An element of danger is probably the only thing missing from the current Games, and the alcohol factor would bring that much-needed zest, particularly to sports such as archery, fencing and shooting. Though the cost of getting tens of thousands of athletes on the piss may prove expensive, it certainly opens up the possibility for more sponsorship. Shit, no other justification needed.

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,